Hong Kong is the cornerstone of our Greater China presence which includes our offices in Beijing and Shanghai. Linklaters in Hong Kong reflects the entrepreneurial spirit and dynamism of the Hong Kong community. This enduring presence in Hong Kong is testament to the quality and commitment of our people.
Linklaters’ clients in Hong Kong rely on our expertise in areas ranging from banking & finance, capital markets, competition/anti-trust, corporate/M&A, dispute resolution, employment & incentives, financial markets regulation, projects, private equity, and restructuring & insolvency.
Our network of offices across China includes an integrated team of over 200 lawyers offering high-quality legal advice in Hong Kong, English and US law. Our lawyers are at the forefront of market-leading developments in the region and have worked on some of the most complex, innovative and award-winning transactions.
Recent significant transactions include advising:
- Hammer Capital Consulting Limited in the acquisition financing for The Center – the largest acquisition financing for a single block commercial building at US$4.2 billion;
- CTBC Bank Co., Ltd. and Cathay United Bank Company Limited as mandated lead arranger, original lender and agent in relation to the financing for the acquisition of garment label marker Trimco by a vehicle controlled by Affinity Equity Partners;
- CLP Power on the development of a floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU) to power project in Hong Kong, which will include the development of a new FSRU project as well as the negotiation of gas supply arrangements between Hong Kong and China;
- the common lenders on the project financing of the 128MW Formosa 1 offshore wind project in Taiwan – a ground-breaking first in country project; having previously advised Ørsted on its 35% stake acquisition into the same project;
- Pirelli & C S.p.A., a ChemChina subsidiary, on its US$3 billion IPO and listing on the Mercato Telematico. This was the biggest European IPO of 2017;
- Bank of China Limited and Bank of China Limited Hong Kong Branch as Issuers on the upsize and update of their US$40 billion Medium Term Note Programme. The Programme is listed on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited;
- HKEX on establishment of the Bond Connect between China and Hong Kong;
- China Southern Power Grid’s US$1.3 billion acquisition of Brookfield Infrastructure's 27.8% stake in Transelec, the largest pure-play power transmission company in Chile;
- ZZ Capital International Limited’s US$800 million outbound acquisition of Alerian, one of the very few transactions that has been classified as an “extreme VSA” by the Hong Kong Exchange
Our standing in this region is reflected by our consistent ranking as a top tier firm across our core practice areas:
"Their advice is not just legally strong but also commercially viable."
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018, Banking & Finance (International Firms): China
"They're highly responsive, with solid PRC legal and industry knowledge. They're very approachable, with a good understanding of business rationale and the ability to provide practical solutions."
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018, Capital Markets (International Firms): China
"Linklaters has performed professionally and efficiently, just how it has consistently presented itself in the past years."
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018, Corporate (International Firms): China
"The firm is very responsive and provides comprehensive advice, not only from a legal perspective, but it can also take into account the client's business considerations."
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018, Dispute Resolution (International Firms): China
“[Linklaters] frequently represents Chinese and international lenders and sponsors in multi-sourced project financings across Asia.”
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018, Projects & Infrastructure (International Firms): China