19 January 2018
Linklaters appoints William Liu Head of China
Linklaters is pleased to confirm the appointment of William Liu as Head of China. In his new role, William, also the Head of Capital Markets Asia, will oversee the Firm’s strategy and vision for China as well as sitting on the Linklaters’ Asia Executive Committee, responsible for key management decisions to help shape the firm’s strategy and vision across the region.
William is recognised by clients and peers as the pre-eminent capital markets lawyer in China, and has forged strong relationships with the Ministry of Finance in the PRC and PRC banks, state and privately-owned enterprises. The Linklaters China capital markets practice led by him is the number 1 China capital markets practice and William has led transactions such as the recent landmark US dollar bond issue by the China Ministry of Finance.
William replaces corporate partner, Fang Jian who is retiring.
Nathalie Hobbs, Asia Managing Partner said:
“I am excited to confirm William’s appointment. As well as the strong leadership, energy and dynamism he will bring to the role, as demonstrated by the growth and strength of the capital markets practice, his experience advising clients in the mainland and Hong Kong is ideally suited to the Firm’s ambitions to grow and develop our already impressive China offering. William’s background will enable us to have the teams across China work even more closely together and enable us to achieve our goal of being the leading firm in China across all areas.
I also want to thank Fang Jian for the role that he played leading the practice in China over the last six years.”
About William Liu:
William joined Linklaters as a trainee in Hong Kong in 1998, made Partner in 2008 working from the Firm’s Shanghai and Hong Kong offices. He is a widely respected capital markets specialist with significant experience in an extensive range of public debt, equity and equity-linked transactions as well as private and proprietary illiquid and PIPE investments in the China region involving both PRC and overseas issuers. He is fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese and English. He is ranked Tier 1 in Chambers and Legal 500.
About Linklaters China:
- Linklaters has an integrated team of over 200 lawyers working across China’s three major business centres: Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong
- Linklaters China accounts for 10 Tier 1 Chambers ranking across Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate, Competition, Dispute Resolution and Projects and Infrastructure
- A track record for advising on more “firsts” in China than any other firm. We offer a compelling combination of:
- Market experience: unparalleled insight into China’s legal and economic framework
- Technical skills: offering consistent, top-quality international standards
- Cross-practice strengths: top-tier expertise in corporate/M&A, competition and regulatory advice, banking, project finance, capital markets, financial sponsors, and dispute resolution
- Commercial understanding: dedication to assisting clients achieve their commercial objectives and manage risk
- Sectoral knowledge: expertise in a wide range of prominent business sectors and industries
- Cultural awareness and linguistic capabilities: we have 100 Chinese-speaking lawyers and an in-depth understanding of how best to negotiate and conclude PRC deals